Edition no. 69 of Platypus News & Views, the newsletter of the Australian Platypus Conservancy, is attached.
In this edition we particularly focus on the problem of platypus deaths in opera house nets and other types of enclosed yabby traps including:
- Why the APC is now calling for a complete ban on enclosed traps after extensive trials to find a 'platypus-safe' trap.
- Some myths about opera house traps.
- How to get more information about this problem on our website and Facebook.
- How you can help to call for a ban.
- On a brighter note, there is also an article about the best time of the year to look for platypus (the good news is that it is now!).
Your are welcome to reproduce any of the material from PN&V for non-profit, educational purposes, subject to acknowledgement of the APC as the source.
Over 200 club members and friends came together to celebrate five Fairfield members who have been selected to compete overseas. Elena Cementon organised the showing of the first Australian showing of Beyond the River, and the club raised over $2,500 for our Australian representatives.
Club Chairman Peter Goldsworthy spoke at the Rivoli cinema before the movie (see below) and and noted that Fairfield has never had so many members selected to compete overseas.
Photographs of the atheletes are shown below. (Photographs by Jean Jones and Mike Zupanc)